Guidance counsellors are available in junior and senior high schools. Counsellors assist students in solving problems related to choosing, planning, adjusting and achieving goals in educational, career, personal, social and spiritual areas.
As part of the Career Centre at each high school is a Career practitioner, who is available to help students make informed decisions about their future, related to post-secondary education and careers.
Student Resiliency - Suicide
If you or someone you care about is thinking about suicide, you must not keep this a secret. Tell your parents or a trusted adult in your school like a teacher, a principal or your school counsellor.
You can contact any of the community resources on the list below and get help. Do not feel like you have to do this on your own. Reach out and get the help you need today!
Community Resources for parents and students who are dealing with suicide:
• Canadian Mental Health www.cmha.ab.ca 403-297-1700
• Distress Center www.distresscentre.com main crisis:403-266-4357
• Kids helpline: 1-800-668-6868
• Access Mental Health: 403-943-1500
• Hospice Calgary (after suicide/grief care): 403-263-4525
• LivingWorks : www.Livingworks.net
• Centre for Suicide Prevention: http://suicideinfo.ca (403-249-3900)