- Diploma exams will be cancelled for April and June 2020, except in extenuating circumstances, which are outlined below.
- Students currently registered to write diploma exams during the April and June sessions will receive exemptions, without the need to apply for one.
- Students who paid a rewrite fee for April or June diploma exams will receive a refund.
- Students who planned to rewrite diploma exams in April or June will receive an exemption from the diploma exam, if a new school awarded mark for the April or June terms is submitted. The new school awarded mark will be their final course mark.
- Cases of extenuating circumstances where diploma exams may be administered include:
- Home schooled students. Some universities specifically ask for standardized test results to be available for home schooled students.
- Adult students. Students with mature student status may challenge diploma exams, without taking the course. These individuals cannot be exempt from a diploma exam, as they do not have a school-awarded mark.
- Alberta Education will work with school authorities to review requests to write April and/or June diploma exams and establish suitable writing centre logistics.
- Extenuating circumstances other than those described above can be discussed with Pascal Couture, by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 780-643-9157 (dial 310-0000 to be connected toll-free)
- We would appreciate your cooperation in ensuring that all April diploma exams materials be returned to Alberta Education as soon as possible.
- Diploma Exam field tests will not be administered for the rest of the 2019/20 school year. Exam Administration Branch will be sending cancellation notices to teachers who signed up for field tests in the coming days.
- Working groups for activities such as item development or test validations are also cancelled until further notice.
Additional clarification is below:
Provincial Achievement Tests (PATs)
- Grades 6 and 9 PATs will not be administered in May/June 2020.
- Some Grade 9 students wrote PATs in January. Since convening a central marking session in July would contravene directives issued by the Chief Medical Officer of Health, January 2020 PATs will not be centrally marked this summer. As such, PAT reports will not be available for schools that administered Grade 9 PATs in January.
- For Grade 9 students who wrote PATs in January, schools may share PAT results with parents.
- PAT field tests will not be administered for the rest of the 2019/20 school year. Exam Administration Branch will be sending cancellation notices to teachers who signed up for field tests in the coming days.Working groups for activities such as item development or test validations are also cancelled until further notice.