Monthly youth Calgary Transit passes are available for purchase by students at the regular student rate, from retail outlets throughout the city or online through Calgary Transit at their convenience. A complete list of transit pass vendors can be found at www.calgarytransit.com.
In order to receive a rebate on the purchase of monthly youth Calgary Transit passes for the school year, students must meet the eligibility criteria. Junior and senior high students in the City of Calgary, residing 2.4 kilometers or more from the school they are directed to attend by the district, are eligible for a rebate.
For eligible students, the annual Calgary Transit Pass Rebate form is required to be completed and submitted to the school or sent directly to the Transportation Department. The form provides the necessary information and authorization to directly deposit the rebate into the bank account defined by the parent/guardian on the form. The rebates will be processed only by direct deposit. For the 2017-18 school year the annual Calgary Transit Pass Rebate forms will be distributed to schools in May.
If your child is eligible for a rebate, please complete the rebate form and submit it to either your school or mail it to the Calgary Catholic School District, Transportation Department, 1000 – 5th Avenue SW, Calgary, AB T2P-4T9 by the end of June. Forms received after this date will be processed as soon as possible after they are received, but may result in your direct deposit payment being delayed in the fall.
2017-2018 CCSD Rebate Form
Bill 1 - Transportation Information
The process for receiving a rebate, once the Calgary Transit Pass Rebate form has been submitted, is as follows:
- Students who qualify for the subsidy will bring their monthly youth Calgary Transit pass and their student ID to the school to have them scanned each month, according to the schedule established by each individual school. The transit pass is returned to the student as a receipt for the public transit deduction for the non-reimbursable portion that can be claimed on the parent’s/guardian’s income tax return.
- If students miss scanning their pass for a particular month, they may bring in passes for previous months of the school year at any scanning period during any of the following months.
- Scanning of a monthly transit pass and student ID for eligible students will generate a payment of the rebate amount directly to the bank account defined by the parents/guardians on the Calgary Transit Pass Rebate form.
If you have questions in regards to the rebate process for Calgary Transit Passes to eligible students, please contact your school directly or consult the following Q & A section.
Q&A: Calgary Transit pass rebates
Where will parents get passes?
Monthly youth Calgary Transit passes are available for purchase by students at the regular student rate, from retail outlets (grocery stores, convenience stores, drug stores, other retail locations) throughout the city or online through Calgary Transit at their convenience. A complete list of transit pass vendors can be found at www.calgarytransit.com.
How do parents get their rebate for subsidized bus passes?
- Parents or students will purchase a bus pass for use during the month at Calgary Transit rates.
- Monthly, according to the schedule established by each individual school, the student will present their transit pass at the school and a staff member will scan the pass and scan the student’s ID.
- Once the bus pass is scanned into the system, a direct deposit will be generated via electronic funds transfer to the bank account identified in the annual rebate form.
- If a student misses the dates that their school is scanning passes on a particular month or wishes to save passes, they may bring in any transit passes for any of the previous months of the school year for which they were eligible during scanning times of any subsequent months. For example, a student who is away in September when their school is scanning passes may bring in both their September and October passes during the month of October to be scanned at the same time.
- Alternatively, families wishing to have the rebate amounts deposited as soon as possible and according to the schedule below, must have their child bring in their transit passes every month during the school’s posted scanning dates.
- The transit pass is returned to the student as a receipt for the public transit deduction for the non-reimbursable portion that can be claimed on the parent’s/guardian’s income tax return.
What happens if a student loses their pass prior to having it scanned for the month?
Transit passes are to be treated as cash and students will not receive subsidies for lost or stolen passes.
What if the parent/guardian wants to receive their rebate by cheque?
Rebates will be paid only through a direct deposit.