Safety is the primary concern of everyone involved in the transportation of students. Although important at all times, safety takes on a new meaning during the winter months. All of our careful planning and detailed scheduling can be overturned by winter weather.
Buses can be delayed and sometimes even cancelled because of cold temperatures, icy roads and traffic problems. Parents and students are reminded that extra caution must be taken during the winter months.
Safety reminders for winter weather conditions
- All CCSD schools located within City of Calgary limits will remain open to provide a safe, warm and secure environment for attending students. Schools located in Airdrie, Cochrane, Chestermere may close based on weather conditions, as they serve a large number of rural students.
- If parents /guardians cannot ensure the safety of their children to and from school, the child should be kept at home or other arrangement made for the daily supervision of the child.
When conditions reach -20 Celsius or colder including the wind-chill factor, it is
recommended that students be kept inside for recess or lunch breaks. The -20 Celsius guideline is comparable to other school jurisdictions in Alberta and across Canada. Note: this temperature is provided as a guideline and may be adjusted for the school/activity.
- All students should be well prepared for conditions caused by low temperatures and high wind chills and should not be left unattended at bus stops or spend any extended period of time outdoors under any circumstance. Parents should form an emergency plan with their children so they have clear instructions about what to do if the bus does not arrive.
- Cold weather or heavy snowfalls can result in bus schedules being unavoidably delayed. Buses will run as close to schedule as possible but delays do occur and should be expected.
- Children should be dressed appropriately for the cold weather. Unexpected mechanical problems causing buses to cool off very quickly may occur more frequently at this time of year.
- Children must be reminded of the proper crossing procedures when departing the bus and crossing the street at the end of the school day. Stand back a safe distance from the bus. Wait until the bus leaves the stop. Walk to the closest intersection. Cross the street only when it is safe to do so and remember to look both ways.
- Parents/guardians are advised to listen to local media for updates on weather and transportation.
For more information, contact Calgary Catholic School District’s Transportation Department at 403-500-2456, 403-500-2457 or 403-500-2458.