In partnership with SAIT, CBE and Palliser Regional Schools, the district offers students an opportunity to earn SAIT course credits in the area of Energy & Environment Engineering Technologies while in high school. This program consists of seven courses offered over two semesters. Students can choose to only do one semester and still earn dual credits
About the Program
Students in this program will gain hands-on skills and foundational knowledge in the areas of environmental, petroleum, electrical, instrumentation and power engineering as well as environmental and chemical laboratory technologies.
SAIT instructors will deliver the program on-campus Mondays to Thursdays from 8-11 a.m. with some materials delivered online through SAIT’s D2L. Students will be supervised by a Calgary Catholic off-campus teacher. Students can choose to enter the program either first semester (September to January) or second semester (February to June).
Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from SAIT. Tuition is free for students enrolled in a Calgary Catholic high school. All personal protective equipment will be provided. Students are required to purchase textbooks and manuals over the course of the program.
Students in Grade 11 or 12 who are applying for this program must:
- Have earned a mark of at least:
- 60 per cent in ELA 10-1 or 75 per cent in ELA 10-2 and;
- 60 per cent in Math 10C
- Be on track to complete:
- Math 30-1 or Math 30-2 with at least 50 per cent;
- ELA 30-1 or ELA 30-2 with at least 50 per cent and;
- Physics 20 or Science 30 with at least 60 per cent
- Have strong math and science skills.
- Be interested in exploring a career in energy or environmental
- Have an aptitude for math and science, specifically chemistry and
- Be comfortable working with computers and instrumentation.
- Have good manual dexterity and mechanical abilities.
- Enjoy working with their hands in labs or the outdoors.
Energy Engineering and Environmental Technologies is offered as seven separate courses offered over two semesters. To receive the SAIT Energy and Environment Certificate of Achievement students must complete all seven courses. Students completing some of the courses will still be eligible for SAIT Course Credits and high school CTS credits.
Successful graduates of the program will earn:
- 16 high school CTS credits
- 9 SAIT credits
- Credit in seven SAIT courses: Electrical Diagrams and AutoCad. Fundamentals of Petroleum Operations, Petroleum Testing, Workshop Practices, Electrical and Controls, Biology and Field Ecology, and Water and Wastewater Treatment.
Students can apply at their high school through their counsellor, career practitioner or Off-Campus teacher.
Click here for detailed Energy & Environment Engineering Technologies information.