In partnership with Bow Valley College, CBE and Palliser School Districts, the district offers students a free two semester program to earn Bow Valley College course credits in Software Development while in high school.
About the program
Students participating in the dual credit Software Development program will be enrolled in two courses:
- Programming Fundamentals which is a computer programming course central to software development. In this course learners analyze basic problems to design solutions, then create programs that address those problems. The course also contrasts current and past approaches to programming and programming tools through collective discussion.
- The Internet of Things course which focuses on the pervasiveness of the internet. Learners explore the internet of things through the construction of simple interfaces between computers and the devices they control. Through creation of these interfaces, learners gain insight into the elements of computer architecture, networking, and the programs that control device function with that network.
These courses allow students to:
- Develop learning strategies and skills that will build confidence and support them in their transition to post-secondary education.
- Gain valuable skills that will support career exploration in the technology sector.
- Earn two course credit offered in the Bow Valley College Software Development Diploma Program and can be transferred towards the BVC diploma program.
- Earn both 6 post-secondary credits and 10 Career and Technology Studies (CTS) credits towards completion of an Alberta High School Diploma.
- Take courses taught by experienced instructors who are connected to industry and support students in making meaningful connections to technology related career pathways.
- Earn course credits that are highly transferable to other post-secondary institutions around Alberta.
CCSD high school students are eligible to apply for this program and must:
- Have an interest in software development.
- Be excited about learning and sharing their ideas.
- Commit to one semester and attend courses on Bow Valley College campus Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2-4:30 p.m. at Bow Valley College.
Note: It is recommended the student be enrolled in Math 20-1 or Math 20-2 to ensure success in the program.
Students apply at their high school through their career practitioner or Off-Campus education teacher.
Click here for detailed Software Development information.