In partnership with Olds College, the district offers a free two-year program to earn a Dual-Credit Veterinary Technical Assistant (VTA) Certificate in high school.
About the Program
This is an entry level program that introduces students to the veterinary industry and animal care. A VTA is a valued member of a veterinary practice team and works alongside veterinary professionals, animal health technicians and shelter staff in the small animal industry.
Olds College instructors will deliver the program at the Olds College Calgary campus. This is located at Bow Valley College. Students will be supervised by a Calgary Catholic off-campus teacher. Students will attend classes every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30-6:30 p.m.
Students are responsible for the purchase of personal protective equipment (e.g. scrubs) and instructional resources. The cost of this program after high school is approximately $3,700. Students are also responsible for their own transportation to and from Bow Valley College.
Students will complete their High School Diploma requirements using Olds College Veterinary Technical Assistant courses. This program has been designed to fulfill requirements of both Alberta Education and the Olds College Dual-Credit Veterinary Technical Assistant Program.
Date: June 4, 2020
Time: 5-6 p.m.
Zoom Meeting: Email email@example.com to receive the meeting link.
Students in Grade 10 who are applying for this program must:
- Have completed or be in enrolled in HCS3000 Workplace Safety Systems
- Have completed or be enrolled in Biology 20, Chemistry 20 or Science 20 in Semester 1 of Grade 11
- Have completed or be enrolled in Math 20-1 or 20-2 in Semester 2 of Grade 11
- Have completed or be enrolled in ELA 30-1 or 30-2 by end of Grade 12
- Commit to a two-year program
- Participate in a small animal restraint and handling lab
- Have a free fourth period block to use for travel
Successful students may immediately begin working as a VTA upon completion of high school. No further post-secondary training or experience is required. Graduates who receive a minimum GPA of 2.0 will earn:
- 25 high school (LDC) credits
- An Olds College Certificate of Completion
Note: As a VTA, an overall GPA of 2.0 (62 per cent) must be achieved.
Students can apply at their high school through their counsellor, career practitioner or Off-Campus teacher.