In partnership with SAIT, the district offers a free two-semester program to earn a Dual-Credit Welding Certificate in high school.
About the Program
Students receive 260 hours of practical hands-on skill development in SAIT’s state-of-the-art welding labs and 117 hours of classroom instruction. Students receive comprehensive safety training, instruction on welding techniques and operation of welding machines. The program covers the content of all first-year welding apprenticeship Individual Learning Modules (ILMs).
SAIT journey-person welding instructors will deliver the program on-campus at SAIT. Students will be supervised by a Calgary Catholic off-campus teacher. Students will access course content online through Brightspace (D2L) and SAIT. Courses are delivered at the SAIT main campus every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8:30-11:30 a.m.
Students are responsible for the purchase of welding apprenticeship Individual Learning Modules (ILMs) and personal protective equipment. The cost of the pre-employment welding program after high school is approximately $4,400.
Students in Grade 10 who are applying for this program must:
- Have completed or be enrolled in HCS3000 Workplace Safety Systems
- Have completed or be enrolled in Math 10C or 10-3
- Have completed or be enrolled in ELA 10-1 or 10-2
- Commit to a two semester program, four days/week
- Attend all classes.
Successful graduates of the program will:
- Earn 15 high school (CTS) credits
- Earn a SAIT Certificate of Completion in Dual-Credit Welding
- Gain eligibility to challenge the Alberta Apprenticeship exam for first year apprenticeship welder
This dual-credit program prepares students to enter the workforce with their first year of technical training to prepare them for a job as an apprentice welder.
Students can apply at their high school through their counsellor, career practitioner or Off-Campus teacher.