In partnership with the United Way and SAIT, the district offers students a free, one-semester program to explore careers in the construction industry.
About the Program
Students can earn a SAIT Certificate of Achievement and up to 12 work experience and CTS credits, which go towards completion of an Alberta High School Diploma. Students will be trained in:
- Safely using hand and power tools
- Designing, planning and creating woodwork projects
- Common tools, materials and processes such as cutting, joining, planning, decorating and preserving
- What to expect in the workplace
- How to be successful in construction trades
The district will provide personal protective equipment including steel-toed boots, tool belts and other construction tools.
The program is open to Calgary high school students who attend a school serviced by All in For Youth Initiatives. Students need to be at least 15 years old, in grade 10-12 and complete:
- HCS3000-Workplace Safety Systems
- Construction Safety Training Systems (CTST-09)
Students can apply at their high school through their career practitioner or Off-Campus teacher.