The Kara Life program supports, guides, and educates pregnant and parenting female and male students and their families. It recognizes the dignity of motherhood/fatherhood and the worth of the individual student.
The Kara Life program encourages independence and self-sufficiency so students can continue their high school education while receiving the support of the Kara teacher/counsellor, the social worker, and the nurse. The Kara Life team works in collaboration to assist students in achieving positive health and education outcomes while also accessing other supports as needed such as medical care, prenatal care, career development, and financial assistance.
The goals of the Kara Life Program are:
- To help pregnant and parenting students remain in school during pregnancy and after the birth of their child
- To help pregnant and parenting students carry out positive health care practices for themselves and their child during the prenatal and postnatal stages
- To give pregnant and parenting students necessary information to make educated moral decisions regarding their future and that of their child
- To provide knowledge and skills related to child development and positive parenting skills
- To help enlighten students to the values of chastity and prevent teenage pregnancy
The Kara Community Advisory Association was established to provide an avenue for parish, community and school to work collaboratively to support pregnant and parenting students.
The Kara Life Program operates out of the St. Anne Academic Centre which provides a flexible program and a supportive learning environment. The Kara Community Advisory Association along with Alberta Health Services and a support worker provides for the non-educational needs of Kara students working within the guidelines of Calgary Catholic School District and our Catholic faith. The Teacher/Counsellor in the Kara Life program works with the student to create and monitor the student’s educational plan, explore career options and provide support for high school completion.
Kara Life Program Brochure
Preparing our Children to Thrive