Winter Transportation & Safety
February 8, 2021
Environment Canada has issued an extreme cold warning for the City of Calgary and surrounding area. Parents/guardians are strongly cautioned to take extra care with students travelling to and from school until the cold temperatures subside.
Our schools will remain open to provide safe and warm spaces for attending students. We will continue to monitor the weather conditions and encourage parents/guardians to listen to local media and follow our social media channels (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) for updates.
Winter Weather Safety Reminders
Our students' safety is a top priority. And during the winter months, student safety is a very important consideration for everyone in our school communities. We encourage our students and parents/guardians to review our winter weather safety reminders as transportation can be delayed—and sometimes even cancelled—because of cold temperatures, icy roads and traffic issues.
- All students should be well prepared for conditions caused by low temperatures and high wind chills and should not be left unattended at bus stops or spend any extended period of time outdoors under any circumstance. Parents/guardians should form an emergency plan with their children so they have clear instructions about what to do if the bus does not arrive.
- Cold weather or heavy snowfalls can result in bus schedules being unavoidably delayed. Buses will run as close to schedule as possible but delays do occur and should be expected.
- Children should be dressed appropriately for the cold weather. Unexpected mechanical problems causing buses to cool off very quickly may occur more frequently at this time of year.
- Children must be reminded of the proper crossing procedures when departing the bus and crossing the street at the end of the school day:
- Stand back a safe distance from the bus
- Wait until the bus leaves the stop
- Walk to the closest intersection
- Cross the street only when it is safe to do so and remember to look both ways.
- If parents/guardians cannot ensure their children's safety to and from school, the child should be kept at home or alternate arrangements made for their daily supervision.
- As is our normal protocol when temperatures drop below –20 C (including the wind chill), children will be kept indoors during lunch hour and scheduled breaks.
- Parents/guardians are advised to listen to local media and follow our social media channels (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) for weather, transportation and school closure updates.