School Act and Parents’ Responsibilities
Section 16.2 of the School Act refers to the responsibilities of parents as the following:
- A parent of a student has the responsibility
- (a) to take an active role in the student’s educational success, including assisting the student in complying with section 12,
- (b) to ensure the parent’s conduct contributes to a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment,
- (c) to co-operate and collaborate with school staff to support the delivery of specialized supports and services to the student,
- (d) to encourage, foster and advance collaborative, positive and respectful relationships with teachers, principals, other school staff and professionals providing supports and services in the school, and
- (e) to engage in the student’s school community.