The Calgary Catholic School District offers half day Kindergarten. A child must turn 5 years on or before December 31, to attend kindergarten in the fall of that same year.
To register at Ascension of Our Lord, please contact the school's office for information on document requirements. Registration
If your child is born outside of Canada, click to download the St. John Reception Centre Brochure. You will need to make an appointment at St. John School so they may process your registration.
Guiding Principles and Seven Learning Areas
The following guiding principles provide a framework for kindergarten programming:
- Childhoods differ depending on social and cultural circumstances
- Children’s development is influenced but not determined by their early experiences
- Children interact and learn in a variety of contexts
- Children are co-constructors of knowledge and partners in learning
- Children are unique and active contributors to their learning
- Children construct and represent knowledge in a variety of ways
- Children are citizens and active participants in school and society
- Children are active collaborators in and users of assessment
- Children may require specialized programming and supports to develop knowledge, skills and attitudes that prepare them for later learning
- Children and their families may need coordinated community services to meet their needs.
There are seven learning areas within the Kindergarten Program Statement:
- Early Literacy
- Early Numeracy
- Citizenship and Identify
- Environment and Community Awareness
- Personal and Social Responsibility
- Physical Skills and Well Being
- Creative Expression
Kindergarten Virtual Classroom