Guidance counsellors assist students in solving problems related to choosing, planning, adjusting and achieving goals in educational, career, personal, social and spiritual areas. They are available to students in junior and senior high schools.
The role of the school counsellor is as follows:
- To be available to all students.
- To promote spiritual, personal, social, and academic development.
- To assist students in coping with life’s demands and developing positive self- esteem, individual responsibility and accountability, and other skills necessary for positive citizenship.
- To provide accessible and confidential counselling support to students and their families.
- To promote communication and mutual support between school, home, district supports and outside agencies.
- To provide support and guidance to students as they explore career and educational paths.
- To facilitate referrals to community resources.
- Distress Centre-403-266-4357
- Canadian Mental Health Association-403-297-1700
- Kid's Help Phone-1-800-668-6868
- Teen Mental Health