Hockey Canada partners with the Calgary Catholic School District to offer an exciting optional program for students. This program is offered at the elementary, junior high and high school level in select schools. Students have the opportunity to learn hockey skills, leadership, teamwork and fitness during the school day.
These programs are run by certified teachers with extensive hockey backgrounds. Hockey Canada supplies resources and training to our teachers which gives students an advantage as they develop their hockey skills. Students have on-ice training up to twice a week with off-ice training as well. This program of choice is funded entirely by parents.
How does Bishop Carroll run our Hockey Skills Program?
- Practices @ Flames Community Arena
- Monday/Wednesday from 8:15- 9:15
- Players are required to get themselves to the rink but a ride back to school is provided by Southland Bus.
- Bus departs Flames Arena at 9:45 AM
- Students using the bus then carry their gear to our school garage where parents can easily drive up close to pick it up through our staff parking lot.
- We have a good mix of male and female players, and a good mix of skill level as well
- Cost will be in the range of $500 and will be collected in early September. Fee information will be provided to families in September as well as a calendar of the Monday/Wednesday practices
- In addition to the ice time, to earn the full 5 credits, students will be enrolled in the appropriate 1 credit CTS courses
Our current instructors are:
- Svend is well-known around the city, working with all levels of teams and skill levels from small children to NHL clients. He works once a week with the Team USA women’s team! He knows exactly how to make it fun, exciting and challenging for all players.
- Ben is our goalie coach, he has a Master’s degree in Sport Psychology and is the current goalie coach for the AJHL’s Calgary Canucks. Our students think he is fantastic!
Mr. Altrogge (Bishop Carroll Teacher and Hockey Skills Teacher)
- Level 4 coaching and 25 years of coaching experience. Mr. Altrogge loves working with students with a passion for hockey and sharing his hockey knowledge in a positive and engaging manner!
The application form for our Hockey Skills program is here.
Our Hockey Skills Program for 2020-21 is approaching capacity. Please send in your applications and we will form a waitlist once our program is full. In the event we get enough registrations to open a second session and can secure ice time and coaches, we will inform families.
If you have any questions about our Hockey Skills program, please email Doug Altrogge or Brent Hamel (email@example.com).