The Ghost Striders: Bishop Grandin High School’s Running Club
Cross country is one of the first sports of the school year, so training and conditioning runs start up right away in September, and carry on into mid-October. Practices take place on Mondays and Thursdays after school, and city meets are on Wednesdays (exact dates and locations listed below).
We welcome all staff and students to join our cross country club, whether you’ve been running for years, or just want to try it out and improve your physical health. All we ask is that each runner comes out with a positive attitude and a strong sense of team spirit. Running is often thought of as an independent activity, but we all support each other as teammates and fellow runners.
We are lucky to live in a city with many beautiful areas for outdoor running, and we take full advantage of that in our practices. Our training runs take place at a variety of locations, but usually around the Haysboro community (near the school), or along the scenic bike paths and running trails near Heritage Park around the Glenmore Reservoir, with a final wind-up trail run through the Weaselhead Natural Area (also near the Glenmore Reservoir). Later in the season, when we get into some more rigorous anaerobic runs, we will make some special trips to the Glenmore Athletic Park (for speed/interval training) and Sandy Beach (for hill training on “The Monster”).
- Meet #1: Wednesday, September 20 @ Canmore Park
- Meet #2: Wednesday, September 27 @ Prairie Winds Park
- Meet #3: Wednesday, October 4 @ Stanley Park
- City Championships: Wednesday, October 11 @ Cochrane Agricultural Society
- Provincial Championships: Saturday, October 21 @ Rundle Park, Edmonton
- (Departure at 6:00am on Sat. October 21 from Marlborough Mall - no overnight - return @ approximately 7:00pm for qualifiers only)
Mr. Blanchfield email@example.com
Mr. Perry firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Buteau email@example.com