Bishop Grandin High School is the first high school in Calgary to offer a first year apprenticeship technical training program. The program is open to all Catholic high school students interested in preparing for a career in Automotives, Carpentry or Welding.
Apprenticeship Technical Program (ATP) helps students learn the skills and complete the first year of apprenticeship technical training needed for the apprenticeship program, which is usually only offered at the college level. Upon successful completion of the program, students can write the 1st year apprentice technical exam.
It is recommended that students interested in ATP should consider enrolling in the Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP). RAP is offered at all Calgary Catholic high schools and is the work component to an apprenticeship program, which allows students to work in the industry with qualified tradesmen. See a school counsellor for more information.
Advantages of the Apprenticeship Technical Program
- Students can complete their high school diploma while completing their first year of apprenticeship technical training.
- This program allows students to achieve both high school credits and post-secondary credentials at the same time.
- Teachers are registered journeymen in their trades, capable of meeting industry standard training and all instructors hold a Bachelor of Education degree.
- The apprenticeship technical program is recognized by post-secondary institutions.
- Successful candidates will save the cost of tuition that they would have had to pay at a college or technical institute.
- This program will help students gain a competitive edge in Alberta’s apprenticeship system.
- There are a limited number of applicants accepted into the apprenticeship program
- All students are interviewed to determine the best candidates
- Students must demonstrate a high standard of commitment to meet the requirements of the Apprenticeship Board.
- Students will be required to pay a minimal fee to cover instructional learning manuals, personal safety equipment and consumables
- Cost of the supervised Apprenticeship Board exam will be waived for students in this program
How to apply
Contact your school counsellor or CTS teacher.