Our Patron - Monsignor Neville Anderson
Monsignor Neville Anderson
Monsignor Neville Anderson was born April 13, 1898 in County Cork, Ireland. When he was a young child his family immigrated to Canada and settled in Hamilton, Ontario where he attended elementary and secondary school. In 1918, he entered St. Augustine’s Seminary and was ordained a priest for the diocese of Calgary on August 10, 1925.
During his 63 years as a priest, Monsignor Anderson served the Diocese of Calgary in many different capacities. Upon his arrival as a young priest in Calgary, he became the Bishop’s Secretary, Chancellor of the Diocese and started St. Angela’s parish now known as Our Lady of Perpetual Help. In subsequent years, his responsibilities included directing the St. Mary’s Boys’ Choir and teaching music in the Catholic Schools of Calgary.
When Bishop Kidd left the Diocese, Monsignor Anderson was assigned to Taber where he served one year as pastor before going to Drumheller where he served for 12 years from 1934 - 1946.In an effort to better serve his people, during that time, Monsignor Anderson oversaw the construction of churches in many of the surrounding missions which sprang up around the small coal mines in the area.
Following his ministry in Drumheller, the Monsignor returned to Calgary to take over St. Joseph’s Parish.St. Joseph’s continuing growth spurred the building of new churches:Corpus Christi, St. Pius X and Canadian Martyrs to name a few.Monsignor Anderson served the North Hill area until 1967 at which time he served briefly at St. Anthony’s and St. Patrick’s parishes in Calgary and in parishes in Canmore and Exshaw.
Upon his retirement in 1970 and until his death in 1988, Monsignor Anderson spent much of his time recording and writing about the history of the Church in Southern Alberta.
Monsignor Anderson died in Calgary on October 8, 1988 at the age of 90.