School Act and Parents’ Responsibilities
Section 16.2 of the School Act refers to the responsibilities of parents as the following:
- A parent of a student has the responsibility
- (a) to take an active role in the student’s educational success, including assisting the student in complying with section 12,
- (b) to ensure the parent’s conduct contributes to a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment,
- (c) to co-operate and collaborate with school staff to support the delivery of specialized supports and services to the student,
- (d) to encourage, foster and advance collaborative, positive and respectful relationships with teachers, principals, other school staff and professionals providing supports and services in the school, and
- (e) to engage in the student’s school community.
School Attendance Letter to Parents
It is critical to the success of students that they attend school regularly. Regular attendance is the number one reason for student overall success. Click here to read more about the importance of school attendance.