Our Lady of Lourdes offers clinical treatment to students displaying disruptive behaviours that cannot be addressed in their community school. Treatment includes intervention in the classroom, individual therapy, and family support. The goal of the program is to identify and therapeutically address reasons for the behaviour. In therapy sessions, students will be asked to question irrational beliefs that fuel their behaviour. Opportunity to understand where these beliefs began, to process, and to adopt healthier beliefs will be available. In the classroom, students will be given opportunity to ‘test’ old beliefs and try on ‘new beliefs’. Through consistent boundary setting, modelling, and in-class counselling, students will also learn relationship skills needed to succeed in any school environment. In Family counselling, support staff will work with families to identify areas of growth and support. This support will assist families in addressing behavioural concerns and supporting their child’s therapeutic growth.
Teachers with special education training to provide:
- Safe and caring learning environment
- Integrated programming for multiple grade levels
- Assistive technology
- Individualized programming
- Differentiated Instruction
An in-school psychologist is available to provide:
- Individual sessions to identify irrational or negative beliefs.
- Individual sessions to process irrational beliefs to decrease the impact they have on the student.
- Classroom collaboration to identify in-school activities to challenge negative beliefs.
In class support is available to assist children in the development of
- emotional regulation skills
- self-control skills
- increased tolerance and understanding of school expectations
In home support is available to support
- Assist family members in understanding the child’s needs.
- Provide parenting education and strategies to address behaviour in the home
- Provide parenting education and strategies to support positive changes in the home
- Assist the family in accessing supports and resources to enhance their family life.
- Assist the family in accessing supports and resources to maintain all growth after the student transitions to their community school.