The school is named in honor of St. Albert the Great. Albertus Magnus/Albert the Great (1206 – 1280) was called “The Great” by his contemporaries because of the scope and depth of his knowledge and wisdom. He was brilliant both as a scientist and as a theologian and was convinced that, besides the Bible, God speaks to us through His creation. Albert was a priest, a bishop, a teacher, a theologian, an author, a scientist, and a genius, yet he lived his life in humility and in service to others. He was canonized and declared a Doctor of the Church in 1831.