Calgary Catholic School District’s (CCSD) Board of Trustees has approved the 2019-20 district budget. With the Board’s budget approval and the government’s distribution of the new Bill 1 School Transportation Regulation on June 5, 2017, the following guidelines will apply to transportation provided by CCSD for the 2019-20 school year:
Yellow Bus Transportation (Kindergarten to Grade 6 schools where service is offered):
- K-6 students who live 2.4 km or more from their designated school are eligible for transportation and will not be charged a transportation fee.
- K-6 students who live over 1.2 km and less than 2.4 km from their designated school are eligible to register for transportation. The annual fee will continue to be $270 per student, to a family maximum of $540 for two or more children.
Programs of Choice* Schools - Yellow Bus Transportation
*French Immersion, Spanish Immersion and Fine Arts programs at the elementary level
- K-6 students who attend program of choice schools and register for transportation will be charged an annual fee of $270 per student.
Diverse Learning Students (Kindergarten to Grade 12):
- All diverse learning students who require and register for specialized transportation will either be (a) provided district transportation or (b) offered a Payment In Lieu agreement [which occurs in very few cases where adequate transportation services cannot be arranged due to students’ needs and/or travel time].
- No fee will be charged for transportation services for diverse learning students designated to a CCSD program.
Transit Pass Rebate (Grades 7-12):
- All junior and senior high school students who attend their designated school and who live more than 2.4 km from their designated school are eligible to apply for a monthly Transit Pass Rebate on their purchased Transit Pass. The CCSD will provide a rebate of $54.90 per month per pass to eligible students who follow the district’s rebate procedure. This amount is equivalent to the amount the Government of Alberta subsidizes transportation for students who live more than 2.4 km from their designated school.
- The cost of a monthly Calgary Transit Youth Pass is $70 for 2017-2018.
- Student enrolled in program of choice in a school that is not their designate are NOT eligible for a Transit Pass rebate under Bill 1. A program of choice is defined as the following
IB program; Fine Arts; AP program; Bishop Carroll self-directed program; High School French Immersion Certificate program; Hockey Canada Skills Academy; CTF programs; Home Schooling; students residing outside of Calgary but attending a Calgary school; etc. [Note: This list is not exhaustive and may include other programs, which are not specifically listed at this time Kindergarten to Grade 6 students who attend programs of choice and live more than 1.2 km from their school are eligible to receive transportation.
2019-20 Rebate Forms
Bill 1 Transportation Information