Inspiring Creative Learners:
Through Faith and the Arts
Our program focuses on the integration of fine arts across the subject areas, thus increasing the opportunities for student success.
The Fine Arts program provides another learning pathway for students in Calgary Catholic. The Fine Arts are comprised of art, drama, dance and music. Students are involved as creators, performers, historians, critics and consumers, while still hitting Alberta Education mandated curriculum outcomes.
The program enable students in elementary and junior high to enhance the depth and breadth of their expression and intuitive response to the fine arts, while exploring the links between the arts and other core subjects. The Fine Arts program encourages and challenges individuals to discover and develop their potential through exploration, collaboration and sharing.
Students follow the Alberta Programs of Study in traditional and non-traditional ways. The benefits for students in a Fine Art program are:
- Arts teach children that problems can have more than one solution
- Arts teach children that there are many ways to see and interpret the world
- Arts teach children about other tools besides writing to represent their knowledge
- Arts help increase confidence and self-esteem for students who do not necessarily learn in a traditional way
- Arts increase collaboration among students with more project-based work to achieve common outcomes
- Arts teach children and teachers to look differently at the community that surrounds them
- Arts provide students an opportunity to develop and showcase their talents