SAINT FRANCIS HIGH SCHOOL HISTORY
Saint Francis High School takes its name from our patron saint, Saint Francis of Assisi. The school opened in 1962 with an enrolment of 466 students in three grades (9, 10 & 11) and offered academic, commercial and technical programs. By 1965 enrolment doubled and the vocational wings were constructed. Two science labs, one multi-activity area and eight classrooms completed the addition. In 1983, two of the areas were renovated to house the Home Economics facilities and in 2000, a new library and music room were added along with new computer and science labs and numerous classrooms.
Today, Saint Francis High School is a liberal arts Roman Catholic high school serving over 1600 students.We offer one of the most comprehensive high school programs in Alberta. All of the academic disciplines are offered along with Advanced Placement, Extended French, International Spanish Academy, Fine Arts, Knowledge and Employability Skills courses, International Languages, Active Living Skills, Physical Education and a variety of special programs. Our career and technology studies, extra-curricular programs, including Fine Arts and Athletics, are highly regarded throughout the District.
Original farm site, location of Saint Francis High School
Artist: Ms. Betty Ogle
Saint Francis High School was built on the farm in 1962 (see the above painting). During the planning stage of St. Francis it was suggested that we name our school after the then Bishop of Calgary, Most Reverend F.P. Carroll D.D. However a suggestion from the Bishop resulted in his patron saint, St. Francis of Assisi being chosen as a patron of our school. (We nearly became Bishop Carroll!!!)