St. Margaret Mary Alacoque was born in the Burgundy region of France in 1647. She entered the convent of the Visitation nuns in 1671. She had visions of Christ in which He called her to reveal the love of His Sacred Heart to the world. Through her efforts and prayer, devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus grew in popularity, resulting in a special feast day in the Church calendar. St. Margaret Mary died in France in 1690.
She was also known as Margarita Mary Alacoque; Margherita Mary Alacoque; Marguerite Mary Alacoque. She was healed from a crippling disorder by a vision of the Blessed Virgin, which prompted her to give her life to God. After receiving a vision of Christ fresh from the Scourging, she was moved to join the Order of the Visitation at Paray-le-Monial in 1671.
She received a revelation from our Lord in 1675, which included 12 promises to her and to those who practiced a true to devotion to His Sacred Heart, whose crown of thorns represent his sacrifices. The devotion encountered violent opposition, especially in Jansenist areas, but has become widespread and popular. She was born July 22, 1647 at L’Hautecourt, Burgundy, France and died October 17, 1690; body incorrupt. She was canonized in 1920 by Pope Benedict XV.
The Twelve Promises of Jesus to Saint Margaret Mary for those devoted to His Sacred Heart:
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will establish peace in all their families.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- They shall find in My Heart an assured refuge during life and especially at the hour of their death.
- I will pour abundant blessings on all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart the source of an infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall speedily rise to great perfection.
- I will bless the homes where an image of My Heart shall be exposed and honoured.
- I will give to priests the power of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who propagate this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be effaced.
- The all-powerful love of My Heart will grant to all those who shall receive Communion on the First Friday of nine consecutive months the grace of final repentance; they shall not die under my displeasure, nor without receiving their Sacraments; my heart shall be their assured refuge at that last hour.
Patronage: against polio, polio patients, devotees of the Sacred Heart, loss of parents.
Potential Current Links: