The Calgary Catholic School District offers an English Language Learning (ELL) Preschool program for children who have minimal or no English language skills. Children must meet the eligibility criteria for the program. Interviews will take place in the spring to determine eligibility. This is a free, publicly funded program.
All of our schools provide a Catholic faith-based learning environment. As such, children in this program are expected to participate in any religious events taking place in the school. This includes field trips to the church, daily prayer and service projects.
There are eligibility requirements for this program:
1. Children must turn 4 years old on or before December 31 of the year they will begin preschool.
2. Children must have minimal to no English Language Skills.
3. Children must speak a home language that is not English.
4. Parents are responsible for transportation to and from the program.
5. Parents are required to attend all field trips.who have minimal or limited English language skills in 12 of our schools.
This year, registration starts on February 1.
Families are asked to come to the school to arrange an appointment with the District reception center to determine if their child is eligible for the program. Eligible families will be redirected back to the schools to complete the registration process.
You will need to bring the following documentation with you to the St. John Reception Center with your child on the day of your appointment:
1. Child's Birth Certificate
2. Child's Baptismal Certificate (if available)
3. Parent's Baptismal Certificate (if available)
4. Child's Permanent Residency card or immigration papers (if not born in Canada)
5. Parent's valid work permit or study permit (if applicable)
Interpreter services are available upon request. Please let the school know if you will need an interpreter when booking your appointment.