Registration is ongoing throughout the school year. All families are encouraged to inquire.
St. Pius X Restricted Enrollment Letter
*This updated info is available on our district website at:https://www.cssd.ab.ca/Parents/Registration/Kindergarten/Pages/default.aspx
The Calgary Catholic School District offers kindergarten programming within a faith-based learning environment.
Parents and children will experience a Catholic educational setting which focuses on:
- Creating a school community that gives witness to the teaching of Jesus and celebrates diversity, inclusion and the permeation of Catholic values throughout all curricular areas.
- Children being valued as precious gifts of God who are encouraged to reach their fullest potential.
- Learning experiences designed to be developmentally appropriate in order to meet the diverse needs of children.
Registration is ongoing throughout the school year. The child’s birth certificate should be presented at the time of registration. Contact your local elementary school for more information.
Select CCSD elementary schools now offer full-day kindergarten. To register, your child must live within the school’s boundary area, and you must provide a birth certificate. For more information please contact the following selected schools:
- Holy Cross
- Holy Family
- Holy Trinity
- St. Bernadette
- St. Damien
- St. John XXIII
- St. Martha
- St. Mark
- St. Peter
- St. Rupert
Young children benefit from programs that provide opportunities for organized activities and purposeful play through which children explore the world around them. Alberta Education defines instructional time for kindergarten as the “time where direct child-teacher interaction and supervision are maintained.”
Kindergarten students are provided with a minimum of 475 instructional hours each school year. The following 10 guiding principles provide a framework for kindergarten programming:
- Childhoods differ depending on social and cultural circumstances
- Children’s development is influenced but not determined by their early experiences
- Children interact and learn in a variety of contexts
- Children are co-constructors of knowledge and partners in learning
- Children are unique and active contributors to their learning
- Children construct and represent knowledge in a variety of ways
- Children are citizens and active participants in school and society
- Children are active collaborators in and users of assessment
- Children may require specialized programming and supports to develop knowledge, skills and attitudes that prepare them for later learning
- Children and their families may need coordinated community services to meet their needs.
Grades 1 – 12
The child’s birth certificate is required and one parent’s Catholic baptismal certificate is requested to be presented at the time of registration. Resident Catholic students transitioning from kindergarten to Grade 1 in the same school do not need to re-register for Grade 1. Non-resident students need to inquire with the principal of the school to determine if they will be able to register for Grade 1 based on available room and resources. Parents of students not previously registered at any grade level should call the school for an appointment to register.
Designated Boundaries for Schools
The Calgary Catholic School District has designated boundaries for all schools. CCSD uses boundaries strategically to ensure optimal student populations that support viable programming across the district. It is the expectation that students will attend their designated school. Please be aware that school attendance boundaries can and do change to accommodate factors including changing demographic information, the opening or closing of a school, to relieve overcrowding in schools, etc.
New Students to Canada
Students who are born outside of Canada register through the St. John Reception Centre. It is located at 15-12 Street NW and the phone number is 403-500-2007. Students whose first language is not English may be required to complete an English language proficiency assessment. District interpreter services for this appointment are available upon request at no cost to the family. To book an appointment to register, please call 403-500-2007.