The Calgary Catholic School District offers kindergarten programming within a faith-based learning environment.
Parents and children will experience a Catholic educational setting which focuses on:
- Creating a school community that gives witness to the teaching of Jesus and celebrates diversity, inclusion and the permeation of Catholic values throughout all curricular areas.
- Children being valued as precious gifts of God who are encouraged to reach their fullest potential.
- Learning experiences designed to be developmentally appropriate in order to meet the diverse needs of children.
Registration for the 2020-2021 School Year:
As stated in the Education Act, the kindergarten entry
age has changed for the 2020-2021 school year and onward; children
must turn 5 years
on or before December 31, 2020.
Young children benefit from programs that provide opportunities for organized activities and purposeful play through which children explore the world around them. Alberta Education defines instructional time for kindergarten as the “time where direct child-teacher interaction and supervision are maintained.”
Kindergarten students are provided with a minimum of 475 instructional hours each school year. The following 10 guiding principles provide a framework for kindergarten programming:
- Childhoods differ depending on social and cultural circumstances
- Children’s development is influenced but not determined by their early experiences
- Children interact and learn in a variety of contexts
- Children are co-constructors of knowledge and partners in learning
- Children are unique and active contributors to their learning
- Children construct and represent knowledge in a variety of ways
- Children are citizens and active participants in school and society
- Children are active collaborators in and users of assessment
- Children may require specialized programming and supports to develop knowledge, skills and attitudes that prepare them for later learning
- Children and their families may need coordinated community services to meet their needs.